23+ Free Summer Reading Programs & Rewards 2021
Summer Reading Program Rewards are a great way to keep your child learning, and not experience what’s known as summer slide or summer learning loss, forgetting what they learned in class this year! So, we’ve compiled a roundup list of the best Summer Reading Programs for your child this summer. They are all FREE and offer great rewards.
And, don’t miss our Report Card – Rewards for Good Grades list of freebies!
Certainly, we’ve found a ton of great summer reading rewards to keep kids busy and learning.
Top Summer Reading Rewards
A – Summer Reading Programs
- ABC Mouse – free month of online school
- Applebee’s Bookworm Reading Club – Kids ages 10 and younger read 10 books, then record on their Bookworm Club record card. Once they read all 10 books they can get a free kid’s meal at Applebee’s (with adult meal purchase).
- Amazon Summer Reading Challenge 2021 – in past years, Amazon has given free books all summer long, and earn a gift certificate! However, this year they seem to have removed this program since the link no longer works. The good news is, you can still get free kids books on Amazon.
- Audio Books Sync – Since they sold to Audio File, they no longer offer a free summer audiobook program for teens 13+
B – List of Summer Reading Rewards
- Barefoot Books – Free summer reading program. Kids get a free color-in membership certificate when they sign up.
- Barnes & Noble – This summer, kids in grades 1-6 earn a FREE book through the Barnes & Noble Summer Reading Program. Read any eight books and record them in your Summer Reading Journal (see links below). When you’re done, bring it to a Barnes & Noble store and choose your free book! Redeemable 7/1-8/31. Learn more here.
- Braum’s Book Buddy – Braum’s Ice Cream offers free ice cream for grades 1-5 during the school year.Braum’s Book Buddy is a reading incentive program for children in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th grades. Each child can earn up to six Braum’s ice cream treats per school year just by reading, and it is free to participate in the program!The program begins in October and lasts through the school year. Teachers distribute Braum’s Book Buddy booklets to their students and then monitor book reading by placing a Book Buddy sticker in the student’s booklet for each book read. When a student has read six books, the teacher rewards the student with a coupon for a free treat from Braum’s!
- Books-a-Million – Choose 4 books from the reading list, then record them in the reading journal and get a free Because of Winn-Dixie notepad and pen from BAM.
C – Summer Reading Programs
- Cap Com Federal Credit Union – Students in grades Kindergarten through 12 can earn up to $10 ($2 per book) during the Cap Com Federal Credit Union Fall, Winter and Summer Reading Programs.
- Chuck E Cheese – Kids read a book every day for 2 weeks and earn 10 FREE tokens to Chuck E Cheeses. However, there is a limit of one token award per day for each child. Also, a food purchase is required.
H – List of Summer Reading Rewards
- Half Price Books Feed Your Brain Summer Reading Program – Download and use the reading log. Add up your minutes and have your parent or guardian initial each week. Once you’ve reached 300 or more minutes, bring your log to your local HPB store to claim your Bookworm Bucks. This is for kids 14 and younger.
- H-E-Buddy HEB Grocery Stores Summer Reading Program offers kids who read 10 books by October 1, and mail in this reading log, a free t-shirt by mail! This is only for kids 3-12 who are residents of Texas.
L – Summer Reading Programs
- Lifeway Stores – in past years, kids age 1-6 who read six books and memorized six Scripture verses, they’d give a free book and free bible. However, they seem to have discontinued this summer.
M – List of Summer Reading Rewards
- Meatheads Burgers – In past years, kids ages 13 and under who read 5 books would earn a reward of one lil’ meathead burger every 30 days. However, it doesn’t appear that they’re offering it this summer.
P – Summer Reading Program Rewards
- Pizza Hut Book It! – This program is for K–6. When kids read, they can earn a Reading Award Certificate, redeemable for a free, one-topping Personal Pan Pizza® from Pizza Hut. Your teacher must sign you up for this program. But, there’s also a homeschool option! Here’s where teachers can enroll in Pizza Hut’s BookIt Reading Program
- Pottery Barn Kids – In past years, children received a special surprise after attending 5 Weekly Storytime events. However, until things fully open post-Covid, this one seems to be cancelled for now.
R – List of Summer Reading Rewards
- Rusty Bucket Restaurant – Bucketeer Bookworms in Indianapolis can pick up a Bookmark Tracker and record the books your child reads. Once they read 5 different books, then they get a free kids meal!
– The Bucketeer Bookworm Reading Program is designed to encourage kids to read. Enrolling is child’s play: just visit your neighborhood Bucket and ask for your Bucketeer Bookworm Bookmark Tracker.
– When they finish five books, they earn a complimentary kid’s meal.
S – Summer Reading Programs
- Scholastic Happy Camper Reading Program – Kids read and log in minutes all summer. Take weekly challenges and earn rewards!A Fun, Free and Safe Program for Kids
- Showcase Cinemas
A fun and rewarding summer reading program developed to encourage young children to read during the summer months, Bookworm Wednesdays entitles kids to free admission to a select children’s film when they present a book report at a participating Showcase Cinemas box office. Tickets must be reserved in advance online or on the app and seating is limited. Tickets will not be available at the box office, for large parties or for camp groups.
Accompanying parents or guardians and children under six years of age receive free admission and do not need to submit a book report.
- Six Flags Read to Succeed – In the past, K-6 students who complete six hours of non-school-related reading that has been approved by their parents and teachers are eligible for free admission to their nearest theme park.
Update: Due to COVID-19, the 2021 Read to Succeed Program has been suspended. Unused tickets earned during the 2020 season will be valid through August 31, 2021.
- Sylvan Book Adventure – This is a Free, online reading program for children in grades K-8. Kids can read books, take quizzes and get rewarded. Books are not provided.
- Sync Summer Reading Program For Teens – Teens 13+ will be able to download 2 Free audiobooks a week through the OverDrive app. Sign up with your email address, and follow the instructions on their website to access free audio books.
T – List of Summer Reading Rewards
- TD Bank – Kids will need to read 10 books and have a new or existing TD Simple Savings account at a TD Bank to get this deal. Once they complete the summer reading program, they will receive $10 in their new or existing savings account.
Y – Summer Reading Program Rewards
- Your Local Public Library – Why not stay in your community? Most library locations offer something special, and some even offer them weekly! So, check your local libraries to find out which programs they’ll be offering this year. Grab your children, or even a playgroup and make an afternoon out of it! Some locations will even be offering FREE books, prizes or crafts.
Of course, we will add any new Reading Programs for kids as we find them.
Why Should Kids Read During Summer?
Keep young minds active, while being rewarded and having fun! Perfect for children who get bored during summer breaks, and it’ll make going back to school easier this fall.
Experts say Summer learning loss is the loss of academic skills and knowledge over the course of summer holidays. The loss in learning varies across grade level, subject matter, and family income.
A common finding across numerous studies is that on average, students score lower on standardized tests at the end of the summer than they do at the beginning of summer (on the same test).
Summer loss for all students is estimated to be equal to about 1 month (Cooper 1996), but this varies across subject matter. -Source Wikipedia