DIY Make a Gymnastics Beam at Home (under $10! in NO Time!)
If you have a gymnast, then check out this easy DIY balance beam! Don’t miss our latest Do It Yourself Tutorial. Because, we’ve included super easy instructions, plans and a full supply list that shows How to Make a Gymnastics Balance Beam! Please make sure to read our caution and disclaimer before building this.
Today we’re building a LOW BEAM. Most people assume any beam is a “balance beam” but in reality there are differences. You can also explore building a floor beam (sits right on the floor), or a balance beam (which has legs). But, we’re building a low beam because it’s quick and easy and perfect for practicing balance for beginners! Floor beams are also great because they’re easier to store away when you’re not using them.
How to Make a Gymnastics Balance Beam
- Beam – we used a 4″ x 4″ pine beam, that is 8′ long. We bought it at a home improvement/lumber store
- Scrap carpet or leather-like material – optionally, you can cover the beam with something that rivals leather-like (Naugahyde?) or a very low pile indoor-outdoor carpeting or vinyl. Look for remnants at the store (left overs) because they cost much less! I’ve also read where people ask for and got carpet samples (1′ x 1′ chunks) for free.
- Wood screws to attach the scrap 2x4s as feet to the beam
- Staples to attach the covering of choice to the beam
- Cordless drill or screwdriver
This is so super easy, it almost seems silly to write it out. But, it hadn’t crossed my mind that I could make a beam so cheaply. So, I wanted to show you how easy it is. You can do it! 🙂
Practicing the beam helps develop strength and balance, and by repetitive practicing and stretching, gymnasts will improve not only their beam routine, but also their floor routine and of course the psychological block of mastering those movements in the air.
If you’re a gymnastic parent like me, then you know how expensive gymnastics meets, leotards, classes and equipment can be! Even the essentials cost a lot. It’s not cheap, that’s for sure!