Federal Tax Deadline Extended, But NOT All State Taxes Are!
You may have already heard, the IRS has extended the deadline to file Federal Income Taxes from April 15, to May 17, 2021. This will give taxpayers more time to file their Federal 2020 taxes. Last year, due to the pandemic, they extended to July 15. This extension also gives tax services and preparers a chance to adjust for the American Rescue Plan Act, including a $10,200 exemption for unemployment compensation received in 2020.
Folks who went through the February 2021 winter storms in Texas, Oklahoma, and Louisiana, have until June 15, 2021, to file 2020 federal income tax returns. The recent IRS extension to May 17 doesn’t affect that.
If you need an even longer extension, you have until those deadlines to request it. And, then you’ll have until October 15, 2021 to file. Just watch out for interest, because if you owe you’ll have to pay based on the deadline.
Are State Taxes Extended too?
Most states synch their income tax return deadline with the federal tax due date. But, according to Kiplinger, there are some states that have different deadlines! Plus, some states have already adjusted them. With the IRS deadline extended, even more are expected to do so. But, check with the state tax agency where you live to find out when your state tax return is due.
Get Your Refund Faster
The best way to get your refund fast, is to e-file. You’ll get them in around 3 weeks, in most cases! We have several resources where you can file your taxes online, and e-file both state and federal for free.
- TaxSlayer — prepare Federal & State online, and e-file both Federal and State free
- FreeTaxUSA — prepare Federal & State online, Federal efile is free
- eFile.com — prepare Federal & State online, Federal efile is free
- TurboTax — prepare Federal & State online, Federal efile is free
- H&R Block — prepare Federal & State online, Federal efile is free
- TaxAct — prepare Federal & State online, Federal efile is free
- Where to get Free Stuff on Tax Day
- Free Tax Calculators!
- How long should you keep documents before shredding?
- Get FREE paper shredding with paper shredding Staples coupon and Office Depot coupons (available closer to the tax deadline)
- Donate to Charity & get up to $500 Write-Off for one bag of used clothes!
- Do Your Taxes totally free! TaxSlayer (both state AND fed), FreeTaxUSA, eFile.com, H&R Block, TurboTax, or TaxAct!
Request This Offer
Don’t miss another freebie! Get Instant Freebie Alerts here! Claim the Newest Freebies here! Then, JOIN all of our FB Groups!